An up-to-date archive related to Utah's Government Records Access and Management Act
Members of the Utah Media Coalition will rank upcoming legislation or legislative action on openness and accessibility and tell lawmakers and the public about those rankings. The following bills are those the coalition believes will affect the public's access to information in some way.
Law Enforcement Use of Body Cameras
This bill addresses the use of body-warn cameras by police officers. The bill does not have language that directs governments to consider the public interest when weighing whether to keep the resulting videos private. It also classifies as private al...
0 notes 0 articles read more
Body-Worn Cameras for Law Enforcement Officers
This bill addresses the use of body-worn cameras by police officers. The bill makes it clear that governments must consider the public interest in weighing whether to make videos from the cameras private. The bill also has privacy protections, includ...
0 notes 0 articles read more
The Government Records Access and Management Act [GRAMA] is a broad-ranging Utah law dealing with the management of government records. First adopted in 1991 and revised several times, GRAMA is intended to balance the public's constitutional right to access information, individual privacy rights, and government's interest in restricting access to some records for the public good.
- Utah Office of the Attorney General
- Utah State Senate
- Utah House of Representatives
- Records Request Sample Form
House Bill 477 [HB477] was a controversial 75-page bill altering GRAMA that was passed quickly and with overwhelming House and Senate support during the 2011 session of the Utah Legislature. It was subsequently repealed during a special legislative session, in the face of public outcry. Legislative history of HB477.
Other Public Records Resources:
- 2 of 4 state school board candidates address forum - St George News
- Virginia open houses June 11-12 - Washington Post
- Utah House approves bill limiting public access to school district records - Salt Lake Tribune
- (Lack of) Water Hazard - Urban Land
- Blind adventurer conquers Arizona Trail - azcentral.com
- State opens new GRAMA hub - Salt Lake Tribune
- Herald editorial: Utah County Sheriff's Office not above the law - Daily Herald
- In Utah, conflict of interest disclosure available with a click - Sunlight Foundation (blog)
- Utah high court hears Ogden campaign corruption case - Standard-Examiner
- State Records Committee rules contract between Utah State and Maverik is public record - Deseret News
- Follow #GRAMA on Twitter
- Follow @RobertGehrke on Twitter
- Follow @utahpress on Twitter
- Follow @sltrib on Twitter
- Follow @joelcampbell on Twitter
- Follow @utahsenate on Twitter
- Follow @UtahReps on Twitter
- Follow @utahpolitics on Twitter
- Follow @UtahSPJ on Twitter
- Follow @UtahsRight on Twitter
- Utah Citizens FOI Network - Save Utah's Right to Know on Facebook